The diorama at Wrightsville dates from 1991 when the building that houses this museum was given to Historic Wrightsville. The building had been a post office, a barbershop, and a stove store. In 1996, the diorama opened thanks to gifts from many residents and organizations.
The diorama depicts a story of adventure and history. It tells of the Confederate soldiers under General John B. Gordon, who reached Wrightsville in June 1863 and sought a way across the Susquehanna River: the last major obstacle between them and the riches of Pennsylvania, including the cities of Philadelphia and Harrisburg. It is the story of a partially trained militia, using makeshift fortifications and their initiative to stop the Confederates. Finally, it tells of the burning of the Wrightsville-Columbia Bridge, one of the longest covered bridges in the world, in an effort to stop the eastern advance of Lee’s army.
The guides at the diorama are a very knowledgeable group of volunteers, who would be happy to answer your questions regarding the role of Wrightsville in our Nation’s civil war.